Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm going home!

I was dreading this week. Today was my first official observation by my mentor teacher for state licensure, and I've been struggling a bit to get my classes back on track after I was sick at the beginning of last week. There are a lot of days when it feels like my best efforts still accomplish nothing with these kids. So Sunday afternoon I decided that I'll go home this weekend.

I needed something to look forward to. My parents will be coming down here in two weeks anyway for a music festival, and I am eager to see them, but I also want to see my brother, grandparents, and college friends S. and J. Getting to pet the dogs and possibly get some Thai food won't hurt either. I'm not yet sure whether this is me moving my planned end of the month trip up or whether I'm adding another trip with all the extra fuel costs. To heck with the budget!

I thus got up this morning with a smile on my face, knowing that I was one day closer to returning to civilization. Classes went remarkably well, although I did abandon hope of teaching for the first half of first hour and decided to just made my students work problems until I was confident they had finally settled down enough to tackle new material. One of the assistant principals sat in at the same time as my mentor second hour, and my students were really getting it for a change. (Maybe I'll still have a job a year from now!) Life is getting better.

No comments: