Sunday, January 6, 2008

If only it were Thursday already...

I submitted my Teach for America application on Friday. I had to send it in by 1:59 am Saturday, and I thought that continuing to revise my essays during a break from working in the biochem lab on Friday afternoon would be a-ok. I was in my apartment, typing along and feeling pretty good about my work. Then, of course, the power went out. Panic ensued.

Fortunately, the outage was confined to an area of a few blocks, and I was able to continue working in the university's computer lab. My brother was kind enough to read over my essays before I sent them in, and he even let me eat the leftovers from his lunch while I sat around in his apartment waiting for him to finish proofreading. He suggested I eliminate one extraneous comma, and then I reread everything three times. I concluded that my essays, while mediocre, weren't going to get any better, and I sent them in before anything else could go wrong.

They must be pretty efficient at plowing through these applications; they'll be able to state by Thursday who makes it to the telephone interview stage. I'd like to know if they're going to reject me so I can devote my energies to my other plans. I don't feel tremendously optimistic, but I'm trying to remain unconcerned. I put forth a good effort, and now I have to let go and accept that the results are no longer in my hands. I think pulling that off is going to require long walks and yoga dvds, but I'll do my best.

1 comment:

Ms. MiniDucky said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you!