Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm in the mood for some celebratory overspending.

Despite being an absolute nervous wreck, I managed to pass my thesis defense. I won't find out my level of distinction until after the honors council meets in two weeks, but at this point I'm just happy I did well enough to graduate. (Well, I say that now knowing full well I'll be disappointed with myself if I didn't do well enough for summa.) I got my placement interview with TFA out of the way yesterday as well. By some minor miracle, I also don't have any major assignments due next week so I can take a more leisurely approach to homework rather than trying to cram productive activity into every waking moment.

Throw in a nice check from the latest installment of my research grant, and I find myself grappling with the temptation to go out and spend some money. Last night I kept the urge reasonably well in check. I went to a movie with my brother, but I had a free pass so the only splurge was $4 for popcorn for the two of us. I may not be quite so good throughout the weekend.

I want pad thai with tofu, something cold, fizzy, and caffeinated, and maybe that yummy appetizer with with the crab. I want to order used copies of some of Ian McDonald's books since River of Gods was my favorite thing I've read so far this year and the library doesn't have any more of his stuff. I want really good dark chocolate and some chewing gum. I want a bunch of things that aren't at all essential, and worse yet, I feel that I'm entitled as a result of my hard work. It's tempting to give myself $50 to blow on whatever I want this weekend and go back to being frugal next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on passing your thesis defense! When I passed my masters defense, I definitely went out and celebrated.

I can only imagine the celebration that will follow my phd defense in about 10 years.

Anonymous said...

You SHOULD splurge a little! You have to have some fun sometime! You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that's a great day!! There should be some kind of celebration, whether there's spending or not.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I tend to treat myself once in a while too, for being good :)