I decided to move more money into a c.d. since I wouldn't be surprised if the Fed tries some more rate cuts in a futile attempt to keep credit available so the economy doesn't crash down around us. I'm not sure HSBC is that stable right now, but I've been sticking with them largely out of inertia, and I figured that moving $1,000 from savings to a c.d. wouldn't increase my risk any. The six month 4.00% a.p.y. looks pretty good right now, and I can afford to decrease my liquid e-fund by that much since I'll be able to replenish it with over $900 after payday tomorrow. So Sunday night I took about a minute and a half to set up the transaction.
Tuesday I got the nice confirmation email informing me that I have an account and the information would all be available online in 3-5 business days. Today when I logged on, I discovered that I do, in fact, have a new c.d. With $0.00 in it earning 0.00%. I'm planning to ignore it for a day or two in the hopes that it's a computer glitch that'll get straightened out without my intervention. At least the HSBC customer service people are generally nice.