Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I have a handful of half-finished posts started in the past few days, but tonight I don't feel like completing any of them.

This morning I took my grandmother to the nursing home for a conference to discuss my grandfather. They do these every so often, and the news is always the same. He's stable for an eighty nine year old who has suffered two strokes leaving him with a significant degree of aphasia and little use of his right arm, had had breathing problems and been on supplemental oxygen since a bad case of double pneumonia in December of '99, and has been unable to walk ever since he was bedridden due to minor surgery in the summer of '06. They tweaked the dosage of one of his meds, but his condition is basically unchanged. There isn't really any hope that things will get better.

Afterward, I met up with my mother at the movies. We watched Up. I wept repeatedly.

2 comments:

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

I have heard the beginning of that movie is really sad. I can't imagine going through all of that in real life and then seeing the movie. Hang in there.

Auditioning for Adulthood said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's condition. I was always very close to my grandparents and I still cry whenever I see anyone elderly out in public struggling with a walker or a cane or if I drive past by a nursing home. Human suffering is a searingly painful thing to witness. Multiplied by the love we have for that person. And the years of memories.

I wish you and your grandparents peace and solace.