School is busy. I'll try to get a more on-topic post together tomorrow. For now, I leave you with a list of random information about me, compiled because my roommate and my closest Institute friend both insisted. (Yes, I'm resorting to repurposing material from Facebook in an effort to assuage my guilt about not posting here lately.)
1. I think math is probably my weakest subject, which makes my desire to get a Ph.D. in physics slightly odd, no?
2. For a while in preschool, I was the only girl in my class.
3. I pretty much refuse to wear high heels; I hate the way they force you to shorten your stride.
4. Red Baron four cheese pizzas are the ultimate comfort food.
5. I put off getting my driver's license until I was 18 and my parents insisted.
6. I was once interviewed by a reporter from the Wall Street Journal.
7. I don't generally like to buy clothes, but I do like pajamas. Thus I have far more pajamas than one person actually needs.
8. I go through ridiculous amounts of chewing gum when I have to write papers.
9. Three times in the past week my students have asked me if I'm a virgin.
10. I'm very keen on dogs, German Shepards and German Shepard mixes especially.
11. The longest I've ever gone without biting my nails is three weeks.
12. I used to sneak discarded copies of The New Yorker home from the library when I was in junior high since I wasn't sure it would be parentally approved reading material.
13. Very dark chocolate is my drug of choice.
14. The song "NRRRD GRRRL" by MC Chris always makes me smile.
15. I still feel bad about how often I skipped Thermal, even though I was writing a thesis and the prof spent most of the time reading us the textbook.
16. I love the smell of used bookstores.
17. I've had a crush on Richard Feynman since I was 13 or so.
18. Last winter I tried to save on my heating bill by not turning on the heat unless I absolutely had to. This often necessitated going to bed wearing three layers of long underwear under my pajamas, a couple of pairs of socks, and a hat and still shivering under a pile of blankets. In retrospect, it was a dumb decision.
19. I'd gladly live in [small town where I grew up] or [nearby college town] for the rest of my life if I had the chance to be a professor at [my university].
20. I once spent the last night of a family vacation trying to sleep in the car in a gas station parking lot in Little Rock while my dad changed the water pump.
21. I've also been on a trip on which my dad banned talking during the entire drive to Virginia. He claims to have no recollection of this.
22. The most recent movie to make me cry is I Am Legend.
23. I have no middle name.
24. I'm already worrying about how I'll ever afford to retire.
25. Soft, clean sheets are one of life's great sensual pleasures.