Thursday, July 17, 2008

There's no doubt about it.

Money makes a lot of things easier. The house hunt has been going well so today many of my fellow first-years spent the afternoon strategizing about how best to scrape together a deposit and first month's rent. There was much checking of bank websites to determine account balances, some speculation about when the university is going to cash those $900 checks for the graduate tuition for this summer's coursework,and a few plaintive phone calls home. It looks like everyone will be able to pull it off, but there were several tense moments.

I know I'm incredibly lucky to be in a position where this type of thing isn't a big concern, but, at the same time, I can't help wondering why many of my compatriots waited until now to address this issue. If you know months in advance that you'll be facing a large expense, why wait until the day before you absolutely must have the money to start planning?

No comments: