Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Please don't steal my identity.

My mom told me that I got a letter from Bank of (Hometown) informing me that my debit card may have been compromised if I used it at any time from May to November of last year. They urge me to come get a new debit card with a different number, but I won't be able to do that until I head home Presidents' Day weekend. My mom suggested I carefully monitor the account online, but I'm not even set up for online access. If someone has already decided to clean out the $501.52 I had in the account, I won't even know about it until February's statement. Perhaps tomorrow afternoon I'll give the bank a call, explain my predicament, and ask them to cancel the debit card. If they aren't willing to give me a free replacement card either by mail or in person next month, I may just close the account entirely, even though I do like having a brick and mortar bank, if only so I can buy paper I Bonds and deposit my vast collection of loose change.

After grabbing fast food for lunch yesterday and filling the tank with gasoline this afternoon, I've $28.28 remaining for the next week. This does not thrill me. The extra $100 from Bank of America may go into an I Bond in February just so that it's safely out of my reach.

No comments: