Sunday, October 14, 2007

Getting the basics right is half the battle.

I was a little amused by an article in the New York Times last month on why it is important to save money. It boggles my mind that rational adults would need to be reminded of that. Unfortunately those who most need to learn that lesson are probably the least likely to peruse the business section.

Today the editorial section of my local paper reprinted a piece from the Washington Post. It's an eloquent defense of the virtue of saving. I'm tempted to write these words on a scrap of paper to keep in my wallet for weak moments, "But it's worth remembering, as did generations of Americans struggling up from poverty and privation, that thrift is still the essential virtue that makes the American dream possible."

No comments: